Monday 30 May 2011

IELTS TEST

Last Saturday I sat the IELTS test, an English proficiency test. If I score a 7.5 on each four skills (reading, listening, writing and speaking) I can become a registered teacher here in WA. It started at 8.15 am at the university here and about 300 people were there. Nearly all young Asian people and some African. I was the only white one. Most people were young and have to do the test to be able to study here. It started with a listening test which wasn't too difficult although I know I missed one or two questions. Reading was not easy but I found it doable. Just very dull texts about the geology on Mars and changing consumer markets.
Then writing. Two tasks, one was to describe a table about population growth in four areas of the world between 1950 and 2000 (150 words) and a second task where I needed to argue whether teachers should teach morals, manners and values or if they should just stick to the curriculum. The second task was worth more points so I concentrated on that one and wrote a good piece, I thought. Then I realised I didn't have enough words for the first task and only had 5 minutes left so I started to speculate about the table (rather than describing it). Later after my oral exam which went well, the examiner told me most people fail their writing as they miss some key points they need to pick up from the table, and certainly with the speculating I will have lost points. Also I should have given both sides of the arguments a paragraph in task 2 and I only highlighted one. I assumed they just wanted to see if I could write in English, but they actually want you to be able to read a table and write a proper essay. So it's not about English as such....Well. Just have to wait and see. Results in 2 weeks. The rest of the weekend was lovely. Beautiful weather, bit of beach, Willem had a birthday party and Katja and Elleke came for lunch on Sunday. Also on Saturday night we went to Jamie's boss' 40th birthday party in Subiaco which was nice. This week the weather is slightly unsettled, few showers but we need the rain so I am not complaining. Jamie's recovering well and even went back to work on the bike today. Tomorrow I have kindy duty and on Thursday a night out with the Dutch mums. Now I am going to have a shower (bit sweaty after Body Attack) and I have to pick up Frank from Dutch school...
Love to all
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment