Saturday 17 September 2011

things..

On Thursday I went with 3 friends to Guildford, a small old town not far from Perth with lots of antique and art shops. We had a lovely lunch and it was nice to spend a day with the girls. In the evening my friend Noor organised another night in The Stanley (one of my favourite hang outs) for all the Dutch women. Quite a few new faces which was really nice. Especially liked this girl Inge, who teaches African Dance in Fremantle. Hopefully I'll get to know her better.
Had a "chat" with the head teacher of the Dutch NTC school "De Schakel". I sent her a casual email after reading the newsletter in which it was quite obvious they were struggling with relief teachers at the moment. So I offered to help out. We talked for a bit and found out we both started teaching in exactly the same school: Driestromenschool in Middelburg, special needs education. Anyway... she can't promise me anything just yet, only an assistant teaching job for next term (one morning only). It doesn't pay very well and it wasn't what I really wanted but it is a start and who knows.. I just really hoped I could work in the Australian system but am getting nowhere at the moment.
Tomorrow our old Aberdeen friends (Tamar and Urmila and families) are coming for a BBQ. Unfortunately the weather is slightly unsettled, showery... but it'll be fun anyway. And in the evening we've got a "Bring and Braai" at Katja's as her South African husband turns 39 (I think).
Also I've started a book club. I didn't think it would be so easy as everyone is very busy but in no time I managed to get 10 women together. We're reading The Potato Factory (on my request) by Bryce Courtenay. One of Australia's most famous authors (although he's really South African). I hope it's good.. so far it's a good read.. I had to choose something quite quickly...and this was recommended...
We also went to Bells Rapids last weekend in the Swan Valley. Lovely spot along the river. We were just a wee bit too early for the wild flowers... I'll attach a few photos later.
Yesterday we went to the Frogfest at Herdsman Lake again, just like last year. We knew about the frogs now and still didn't see any but it was still a fun evening.
 Guildford with Thea, Simone and Katja

 Bells Rapids
Can you imagine what it will look like when all these flowers are in bloom??

About the boys.. Willem's reading is improving heaps, also in English. Frank is interested in reading now too, so we've started slowly...Willem's still very much into computer stuff. Frank is still totally obsessed by his cuddly toys Bambi and Kangaroo. He didn't want to go to Kindy last week. Reason: he only has one friend (Gabriel). Asked him who he likes to be friends with.. he said: Not A, cause she wears glasses and not E, cause she's already friends with R. And not B, J, J and A cause they don't listen to the teacher and not B cause he's already friends with I... but maybe D.. Yes, I like D to be my friend. So.. Delainey is coming for a play on Monday..

Busy now organising Willem's birthday party. We'll do it before the holidays on the beach. A total Pirate theme party. Lots of organising but I don't mind.. He's invited a lot of schoolkids and two other friends.
And we're also looking forward to Jamie's little sister's visit the 1st week of the October holidays. Willem and Frank can't wait to spend time again with their cousins Joe, Jim and Jack. They live in Sydney now, so it's not too far..

No comments:

Post a Comment