Monday 24 January 2011

Cat Power and more

Last night was the first night they both slept through. Frank in our bed, but it's already a huge improvement from the nights before. Hopefully we've turned a corner.
It was really nice, when I put my Ozzie sim card back in the phone, to have quite a few messages from people here to say they're happy I'm back and if I wanted to meet up.
So yesterday I met Katja and the girls. We had a cup of tea on the veranda and then went to check out the new place right on City Beach. There used to be a posh sea food restaurant called Oceanus. It had such bad reviews we never went there. Now it's a new Clancy's Fish pub! Real trendy, good food, white beer, lovely views over the beach and soon they will have an out door terrace, live music and maybe even a pub quiz! Looks like that's going to be our local! Also Floreat Kiosk, the beach next door, is now open on some evenings with food, a liquor license and live music. City Beach suburb is improving rapidly!

Last night we met Sue and Gareth for a concert in the Quarry. What a fantastic venue. Really, the best for a concert. A quarry amphitheatre is a perfect setting for music, ballet etc. And you look out over the city too. The music wasn't the best. Jamie found her, Cat Power, rather pretentious and lazy and I agree. The other musicians had no chance, never even played a single solo. It was just her breathy voice. Some songs reminded me a little bit Heather Nova but a lot less melodious and there were no up tempo songs at all. Still.. sipping a glass of wine under the stars...can think of worse things to do. It was also nice to catch up with Sue and Gareth.

Bought tickets for Train. They play in Kings Park (with INXS) in an event called: an evening on the green. Tim Minchin is coming too and I'd love to see him but not sure I can find anyone to join me. It's also the day Jamie's Mum arrives.

We're also trying to plan our next holiday to New Zealand's North island. If it all works out we'll meet my brother, Shonda and my parents there in April and we'll visit Sydney (and Jamie's brother and sister who live there) on the way!

This afternoon we're going to see Marloes and have a swim in her pool.
The weather was cloudy the last couple of days but today it's lovely and sunny again. Tomorrow is Australia day and Jamie will have the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment